1 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk, or more as needed
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 hr 48 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan.
- Melt 1 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1/3 cup cocoa powder, water, and espresso powder; mix until smooth.
- Combine white sugar, brown sugar, flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Pour in the butter-cocoa mixture, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup milk, and eggs. Mix until fully incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cake springs back when touched lightly with a finger, about 18 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan or in the microwave. Transfer melted butter to a mixing bowl. Whisk in 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, coffee, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon milk. Slowly mix in the sifted confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth; add milk as needed to reach the consistency you like. Spread the icing over the cooled cake. For easier serving, score the icing before cutting the cake: mark lines as a guide before you start to cut, and divide the cake into 32 pieces.
- 183 kcal
- 27.9 g
- 31 mg
- 7.8 g
- 0.8 g
- 1.7 g
- 99 mg
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe by hobbyzu
“Moist, rich, and chocolatey, flavored with cinnamon and espresso coffee. I first made this when I was 14 and it was gone in no time! It’s still a family favorite!”
Categories: Birthday Cake