2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup shortening
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (16.5 ounce) can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained with juice reserved
1 tablespoon cornstarch
6 teaspoons orange liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2- 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add water, shortening, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined. Then beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and melted chocolate and beat 2 minutes more. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- To Make Frosting: Beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and the cocoa. Beat well than add the milk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Beat in the remaining confectioner’s sugar and any additional milk as needed for spreadability.
- To Make Filling: Drain cherries reserving 2/3 cup of the liquid. In a medium sauce pan combine reserved liquid and cornstarch, add fruit. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for more 2 minutes and then stir in the orange or cherry liqueur. Remove from heat cover and cool without stirring.
- Arrange one cake layer on a serving dish and spread the cooled cherry filling over the top (reserve some cherries for a garnish for top of cake). Place second layer on top filling and frost sides and top of cake with frosting.
- 586 kcal
- 103.6 g
- 49 mg
- 19 g
- 3.5 g
- 5.4 g
- 223 mg
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe by Holly Brazzell
“This is a recipe that is simple to make and always makes people at parties rave. Garnish with dollops of whipped cream and reserved cherries.”
Categories: Chocolate Cake