8 tablespoons shortening
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter
5 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 13×9 inch cake pan.
- Cream together the shortening and the white sugar. Add the melted chocolate and eggs, mix well.
- Sift the flour with baking soda and salt. Add alternately with 1 cup milk to shortening mixture. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick stuck into the center of the cake comes out clean. Once cool frost with Coffee Frosting.
- To Make Frosting: Mix together instant or leftover coffee, 1/4 cup milk or cream, cocoa powder, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and confectioners’ sugar until of spreading consistency.
- 436 kcal
- 72.2 g
- 45 mg
- 15.9 g
- 1.6 g
- 4.1 g
- 229 mg
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe by Jeannette Gartner
“This is the cake my family always traditionally took on picnics and any other family get-together. Cream may be substituted for the milk for a richer cake.”
Categories: Chocolate Cake