3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
10 tablespoons margarine, melted
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups water
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup margarine
6 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Sift the flour, white sugar, baking soda, salt and 6 tablespoons of the cocoa into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Drizzle melted margarine and the vinegar over the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and cold water and stir well to remove lumps.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Spread with chocolate frosting.
- To Make Chocolate Frosting: Combine the confectioner’s sugar, 6 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons cocoa, and 1/2 cup of the margarine. Heat until melted and stir until smooth add vanilla and nuts if desired, and spread over cake.
- 476 kcal
- 85.3 g
- 0 mg
- 14.8 g
- 1.9 g
- 3.6 g
- 596 mg
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe by Adora Marchi
“You might think this cake recipe is a bit wacky because it has vinegar but no eggs, but only until you’re enjoying a rich chocolate cake.”
Categories: Chocolate Cake