2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped golden raisins
2 hrs 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and ginger.
- Mix together buttermilk, sweet potatoes, and raisins in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Pour in the flour mixture alternately with the milk and sweet potato mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Divide batter between prepared pans and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cake layers on wire rack. Remove from pans and frost as desired.
- 356 kcal
- 66.2 g
- 56 mg
- 8.9 g
- 1.2 g
- 4.4 g
- 372 mg
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe by Julie
“A spicy layer cake. Good with buttercream frosting.”
Categories: Spice Cake